Thursday, May 18, 2006

Biography

After I tried different classes in the European closed and open beta, the first character I created in the final version was Solfyre, a female nightelf rogue, on Skullcrusher-EU. Together with my girlfriend's druid Cayenne I played the first 30 Levels without feeling the need for a guild.


The first guild we joined was Defenders of the Realm. We had quite some fun there but the people where just too different in how they played the game. A couple of months after release the first guilds were founded that consisted exclusively of high level players, basically to do instance runs together. I joined such a guild, called Vengeful, a bunch of really talented and devoted people that sadly broke up after a quarrel between the two guildleaders. What remained for me was the wish to see more of the game, if possible before anyone else did. With that I stood not alone. A couple of weeks later a number of smaller guilds joined forces as a new guild called Fusion. You heared a lot of cool things about those guys. That they managed to kill the first trash in MC, that they got enough ppl attuned to try Onyxia, stuff like that.^^
We, Cayenne and me, joined them (ex Vengeful members had good gear and a good reputation) and after a while started to attend more and more raids. Only a handful of guilds where doing MC and Onyxia back then and it was really fun to try and finally overcome boss after boss. I think I never before took so much pride in virtual achievements. Fabulous items that I previously only read about where now in reach. The fascination of the first epics is something that I doubt will ever come back, at least for me.



I attended the first Onyxia kill after weeks of wiping, and also a couple of first kills in MC. Killing a really hard boss for the very first time is an insane feeling. Especially the first kill of Ragnaros (24th August 2005) is something I remember vividly.
After that we started trying BWL. It took us one month to down Razorgore, but after that progress was quite steady and we killed Nefarian for the first time in early november. Since then we were basically out of content, farming stuff and hoping for AQ.
Even though my share in the farming event was not above average I, like all Fusion, was anticipating AQ. We missed most of the opening event as we were so eager to get some bosses killed. We blazed through the first part of AQ and killed the first 4 bosses in the night of the gate opening. Although that particular night was something I'll never forget, I think it is a shame that the first AQ bosses are no real challenge to a halfway experienced guild. AQ isn't bare of challenges though, after Fankriss it was getting really tough. We took long for Huhuran, even longer for the Emps, and C'Thun was killed only a couple of days ago after quite some problems with overall motivation.

After almost one year of raiding my goals have changed a lot. I basically play for the rare moments in which we kill new encounters, and for improving myself as a player. Gear is something that I take when I can and I do look forward to improvements, but the impatience and drooling is long gone.
So what remains are two very hard bosses in AQ and then we will most likely wait for Naxxramas. I hope that instance will be a blast, cause otherwise I don't see me continuing the game until the expansion comes, at least not with the same level of devotion. It's all feeling a bit too much like a job today with only a few (though intense) highlights.

1 Comments:

Blogger Raivyne said...

Nice little blog you have going here Lith!

Well, if you get too bored... you could always try some swords! :P~

I can see where raiding would become a chore. Some of the raiding guilds on my server raid 24/7. And they are really strict about raid attendence. I need some in game me time personally. Time to PvP, time to lvl an alt if i want.

I am looking at going to an end game guild that only raids 3-4 nights a week and isn't as strict about raid attendence. They are just starting BWL, so should be fun. Just waiting on my mage to get to 60, so that i don't leave my current guild high and dry. They are very close to entering MC, and just need a few more 60s and some gear upgrades to begin. (plus my sister is the guild leader, and i don't want any hard feelings about me leaving) They are a casual guild and only raid once a week, and not likely to increase the raid schedule. I'd like to raid more, personally.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home